Legal Support Officer (part-time)
About The North & North West Community Legal Service
The North & North West Community Legal Service is a not-for-profit organisation operating as a generalist community legal service. Based in Armidale, NSW, we provide legal assistance in the north and northwest region of NSW, completing regular circuits to Tamworth, Tenterfield, Narrabri, Gunnedah, Wee Waa, Moree, Inverell, Walcha, and Glen Innes. Our Service provides free legal advice, assistance, and support to people who have the least access to the legal system and the least power to help themselves. We also conduct community legal education sessions in the region, speaking on various topics such as family law, the importance of having a will, debt and credit problems, and many more. The aim is to raise people’s awareness of their legal rights and responsibilities and to help prevent issues arising in the future.
Our small, tight-knit team work to provide our regional communities with assistance in:
- Family law issues (excluding property settlement matters);
- Criminal matters;
- Domestic violence cases;
- Consumer complaints;
- Credit and debt issues;
- Employment law;
- Youth issues;
- Victim compensation;
- Wills, Power of Attorney, and Enduring Guardianships;
- Neighbourhood disputes;
- Apprehended Personal Violence Orders; and
- Care and protection.
We are seeking a Legal Support Officer to join our Service. Applicants should demonstrate excellent communication and social skills, good operational knowledge of computers and other office technological equipment, and should be confident dealing with clients from a range of backgrounds.
Our ideal candidate will meet the following selection criteria:
- A passion for community service;
- Demonstrated experience and skills in managing a range of computer systems/programs including data entry and word processing skills;
- Excellent organisational skills, including the ability to meet deadlines, prioritise, and manage competing priorities;
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with clients;
- Demonstrated capacity to work effectively in a busy team environment;
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Prior legal experience, or experience working with a similar not-for-profit legal service.
Enquiries and Applications
For a confidential discussion, and to obtain the Candidate Information Book, please contact the consultant assisting with the recruitment process, Ms Bronwyn Pearson, on 1300 856 231. For all email enquiries and applications, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: 29 August 2017