? Health News
- Restrictions on travel in and out of Queensland were lifted last Thursday, with only a small number of positive cases located, and all of those with a clear transmission link. Easter plans were saved for many! The snap restrictions on Northern NSW were lifted at midnight on Monday. Unfortunately Bluesfest was unable to go ahead in Byron Bay over the weekend.
- From Monday 29 March, restrictions were further eased across most of NSW. For details on the current rules, visit https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/rules/what-you-can-do-nsw
- The NSW vaccine program is underway. To find out when your turn will come and which GP practices have vaccines available, use the Vaccines Eligibility Checker: https://covid-vaccine.healthdirect.gov.au/eligibility Does your business have a COVID vaccine policy in place?
- NSW Dine & Discover vouchers are now available – register now: https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/transaction/apply-dine-discover-nsw-vouchers
ℹ Regional News
- The ongoing mouse plague has taken a sinister turn, with a NSW farmer diagnosed with a rodent-borne form of bacterial meningitis. While there’s no need to panic, please use protective equipment such as gloves and masks when handling live or dead rodents, and check and clean your water tanks regularly.
- The NSW Rural Fire Service has reported that the 2020-2021 fire season was the mildest in a decade, with only 31,000ha burned out compared to 5.5million ha in 2019-2020.
- CrimeStoppers and the NSW Police Force have launched a new campaign today addressing regional crime, with the tagline “Draw the line on regional crime”. For more information about this initiative, visit https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au/regional-crime/
- Long time PPS client BackTrack is opening new youth hubs in Tenterfield and Macksville this year, with 135 other communities on the waiting list. BackTrack enables young people aged 12-19 who have lost their way to reconnect with education and training, become work ready and secure meaningful employment. Most importantly they get young people ‘back on track’ by developing strong, happy & healthy foundations that result in positive life pathways and full participation in their communities. We are privileged to work with this wonderful organisation.
? Business & Employment News
- Victoria Police staff have won the “right to disconnect”, with workers not to be contacted outside of work hours except in emergencies. We are likely to see more and more of this over time, especially with the rapid increase in remote work during COVID. Do your workers have a right to disconnect, or do you expect them to be available 24/7? How does this feed into staff morale and business culture?
- The Government has put its submission to Fair Work regarding this year’s minimum wage increase, warning that any substantial increase will seriously affect small business. A decision is expected in June 2021.
- Accommodation and food services businesses are being hard hit by the end of JobKeeper, with job losses expected over the next few months as businesses reassess viability and staffing levels. If you think you may need to shed staff, please reach out for professional advice to make sure you’re meeting your lawful obligations #wevegotyourback